• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

MULTIVITAMINS- best brand? does it even matter?

GETYAGUN!!11

Bluelighter
I consider brand name o.c.'s to better than teva o.c.'s...does this same type of concept apply to multivitamns? is there a certain brand that is known to be the best?

THanks dawgs

i grab whatever's most expensive for the plain reason that "you get what you pay for," which is higher product quality/purity and less shit for filler. SISU is probably the most common quality brand (identifiable by a translucent blue bottle) but that shit is real expensive. if you're short on dough, compare ingredients to a less expensive brand and go with the closest match. well that's just my opinion anyway... why supplement in the first place if you'll settle for half the cap being just garbage?

I ascribe to the 'shovel method' personally, just shovel a bunch of vitamins down my throat every day (1-2 generic multivitamins) and let my body sort it out.

Ive tried the expensive stuff and since I did not notice any difference in any aspect of my health, I decided to stop buying that stuff.

ps goes without saying but just so we're all on board, multivitamins should not REPLACE vegetables and fruits (obviously)...they are a SUPPLEMENT.

Many supplements including vitamins contain contaminants like lead and other horrible substances. Some don't even contain what they CLAIM to contain, as they're not regulated by the FDA and are rarely (if ever) tested for potency/safety.

Pills and tablets aren't generally well-absorbed by the body, so some suggest taking liquid or sublingual vitamins, or at least pills that are enteric coated to ensure that they pass the hydrochloric acid in the stomach. As far as brands go, I'd suggest something that DOESN'T cost $2 and is a well-known brand. My doctor recommended Geritol, and it seems to be as good as any.

I use twinlab brand. It's gluten free so it's suitable for celiacs. I can't use any of the cheap ones, blah! :(

I don't even pay that much attention to whether or not I take it every day. I prefer to eat really good foods to get most of my nutrition. SOmetimes I don't even think the vitamins I take do anything. I'm sick with a cold right now and eating lots of oranges, strawberries and kiwis and I think it's helping more than the damn pills.

I see you post in the steroid forums some, so you probably take other sports supplements. Controlled Labs Orange Triad and Millennium Sports Technologies MVP are pretty popular with that crowd, they are mid-priced. At the high end are LEF Life Extension Mix and AOR Ortho Core, pretty expensive but they have a lot of other things a normal multi leaves out, so they could include some of the supplements you are already taking. On the cheaper but still very good side are NOW Adam (for men, i'm sure they make a women's version too though, very popular) and Super Nutrition Perfect Blend (which is what I take).

A lot of multis have poorly absorbed versions of minerals versus more bioavailable mineral chelates, incomplete ratios of b vitamins, and include alpha tocopherol (one of the e vitamins) but do not include the gamma, beta or delta forms or any of the tocotrienols found to be complementary to standard alpha tocopherol. There aren't many multis that have these, so if you want to go with a cheaper vitamin, you could look into Pinnacle Isomer E which contains a balanced ratio of all e vitamins.

I'd link you up to these but the source rules here are grey and they should all be easily found with google anyways.

If you're not a vegetarian, I don't recommend a multi with iron as you should be getting all you need from your diet.

make sure you're still getting good leafy green veggies. Nothing beats phytonutrients.

also, for iron, get a cast iron skillet and cook tomato type saucey stuff in it once a week or so (among other things, its just the tomato sauce stuff really leeches iron from the pan into the food). You'll get a nice sized dose of iron that way.

It doesn't really matter in any significant way to you if you're a normal person with a decent enough diet. The overwhelming majority of your vitamins should be obtained directly from your food, the multivitamin is more of a "cover your bases" supplement to take in case you're a bit low on some particular vits or mins.
There's absolutely no need to spend much money on a multivitamin, I'd recommend finding something under or around $10 for at least a couple months' worth.
Also, abstain from the super high dosage approaches, whether ridiculously high-strength pills, or taking multiple dosages of a normal multi in one day. There are many vitamins and minerals that you DO NOT want to be taking way more of than recommended, so that multivitamin-shotgun approach is definitely not optimal here, if you need to supplement way high on some specific vits/mins then go grab that separately, don't just take a super strong multivitamin preparation.
Oh, and on the note of "greens" drinks/powders, these can be good (and terrible) products, but the majority of them are NOT a substitute for a proper multivitamin, despite containing some vitamins/minerals. One that is designed as a multi should say so, and I'd just double check it against another, regular multi to be sure it's not missing anything.

Oh, and for brands, I wouldn't buy a no-name product, as there is very little oversight of nutritional products. I'm comfortable as long as it's a national brand that's got some history in most cases, even if it's flinstones chewables - just to have the reassurance they're unlikely to risk their brand by skimping on ingredient potency or having contaminated products, both of which are regular occurences in multis/supplements (especially in herbs, that's a real bad specific area for that shit).

Last edited:
Gaian Planes said:
make sure you're still getting good leafy green veggies. Nothing beats phytonutrients.

also, for iron, get a cast iron skillet and cook tomato type saucey stuff in it once a week or so (among other things, its just the tomato sauce stuff really leeches iron from the pan into the food). You'll get a nice sized dose of iron that way.
Is the OP female? I'm slow I may've missed that, because it's one of the only reasons they'd want to be taking a nice sized dose of supplemental iron, and even still, the RDA for for iron is like 18mg or some shit (don't quote me on that!), either way it's so small that you'd probably be better off consuming known quantities of it, as too much can be toxic.

isn't iron good for dudes too? or is that just outdated anecdotal view?

If you don't test positive for (iron-deficiency) anemia, your multi doesn't really need iron (especially if you are male and get a good diet).

Except if you have hemochromatosis (which makes you store too much iron), the amounts in multis are probably nothing to be worried about, but still may be a tiny bit more than what you are needing.

I know this is really naive, but I feel like iron makes me stronger so I eat with iron skillets.

^Dunno about stronger, but iron content does a small increase when you cook it in an iron pan :D

there's no "best" brand, even if you just meant "highest quality", that too is subjective and there'll never be a "best" in this produt category.